Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Day at The Claire Foundation Animal Sanctuary

It's 5 a.m.  The birds and parrots are already stirring and making their pre-dawn noises.  The horses will be at the barn soon, hoping for hay even when the grass is lush and green as it is now.  The dogs, the pushiest and most demanding of the creatures here, want outside, NOW.  The house cats simply stretch and gaze at me, knowing I will provide their every desire.  They are so very wise.

Out in the early morning air, I see the orphaned kittens waiting for me in the hay, eyes wide with trust and love.  The older feral cats are more cautious, more fearful from a lifetime of struggle and abuse.  The horses snuffle, whinny softly, and wait their turn.  Finally they get their taste of good alfalfa hay for the day... for horses, it's more addictive than candy!  After replenishing food and water for all, I head to the garden to water.

Back inside by 6 a.m., I feed the dogs and indoor cats and parrots.  I clean the litter boxes and scoop the dog yard.  Finally, I make tea or coffee, depending on how I feel.  It's time for MY Sanctuary.  I go in my office, light a candle, and dedicate this new day, and all my days, to the amazing Life that lives and breathes us all, and eventually shows us other realities.  I call this Life God, but it doesn't really matter.  What matters is that this Divine Life is the real Sanctuary, the real safety and security.  And our sacred space here at The Claire Foundation rests on this Life as its Principle, its Rock, and reflects it.  

Someone asked me the other day if I wouldn't like to be taken care of as completely as these animals are.  That gave me pause.  The caring for all these animals has become natural to me, grounding and yet liberating.  They teach me daily how to drop my stories and self-created stresses, and to be fully present with Life, to allow the flow of it to embrace me.  They are a gift.

This made me realize again that we receive by giving.  By pouring myself out to these animals and to Life, day in and day out, I am able to really experience what I am and what I have.  I am able to be in the flow of Life.  There are, of course, many ways of giving.  This is one that gives me more than I could ever have imagined.  And so this blog is born, as a way of communicating this incredible gift, and giving you the opportunity to be a part of it. 

Where is your Sanctuary?  Do you have a place of safety and security and sacredness that you make for others, animal or human?  Or perhaps for your family?  Don't diminish your own sacred places or your own giving.  We are each precious and vital to the Life I call God.  And so we are to each other.  

We demonstrate this by donating time and money to Sanctuary.  And if you are led to contribute to ours, you can do so at http://www.clairefoundation.ws/donate.htm.  Each day or so I'll be posting news and stories and reflections from Life in Sanctuary, to share this joy with you.

Blessings from Sanctuary...
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment